As winter is well and truly here, the cold temperatures can cause serious water damage in your home when water freezes in pipes causing back ups and burst pipes. Additionally, roofs in the southern states are more susceptible to water damage due to ice dams and snow accumulation.
Pipes that freeze most frequently are those that are exposed to the cold, such as outdoor hoses, swimming pool water lines, water sprinkler lines and water pipes in unheated interior areas like crawl spaces, garages or cabinets on exterior walls. Pipes that run against exterior walls that have insufficient or no insulation are also subject to freezing. Frozen water pipes can result in significant water damage, and the cost to repair is often huge!
Preventing Burst Water Pipe Damage
- Drain water from swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines following manufacturer’s or installer’s directions
- Monitor Freezing Pipe Conditions and allow a faucet to drip slightly. Moving water (even a drip) will help prevent pipes from freezing.
- During cold winter weather, keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing
Ice Dams and Water Damage on the Roof
The accumulation of snow on rooftops can cause severe damage to commercial buildings. Because these buildings usually have a flat wide-span rooftop, they are more prone to roof damage and collapse more frequently than homes
Preventing Ice Dams and Water Damage on the Roof
- Ice dams form at the edges of the roof when the heat in the attic causes snow on the roof to melt, which in turn refreezes at the gutters.
- Inspect and clean the gutters and downspouts to allow melted snow to properly flow through the drain system.
- If the drains are not maintained, melted snow may penetrate through the rooftop and cause water damage, or it may pool and add significant weight, overloading the roof’s structure
Sewage Cleaning Australia is one of Australia’s largest providers of drainage, sewage and water remediation services offering nation-wide coverage no matter how big or small the sewage or water leak problem may appear.
The strength of our in-house sewage, drainage, water and mould remediation expertise means that whatever the problem may be, our team of experienced and knowledgeable remediation technicians are able to find a solution efficiently and cost-effectively.